By: Peter Goodchild
Even at 1,582 pages of PDF file, Anders Breivik’s manifesto “2083″ is quite a page-turner, something one can rarely say of books nowadays. Perhaps what is most intriguing is that it is so encyclopedic. No doubt he is mentally ill, like Theodore Kaczynski (the “Unabomber”), but the vastness of this “2083,” compared to Kaczynski’s mere 34 pages of “Industrial Society and Its Future” is a great mystery. Kaczynski’s theories are tighter, and his writing is far more careful, but Breivik makes up in quantity what he lacks in quality. And in both cases, there’s a certain amount of method to the madness.
It’s been noted that most of Breivik’s material is plagiarized. A good deal is taken out of context, and to some extent it would be unfair to ascribe any particular views to those whose work he reprints without acknowledgement. Most of the first 40 pages, largely on the topic of “political correctness,” is taken from William S. Lind. The largest amount of lifted material, though, is from a fellow Norwegian, Fjordman (Peder Jensen). Other writers include Gregory M. Davis, Koenraad Elst, Bat Ye’or (Gisele Littman), Andrew Bostom, Daniel Pipes, Robert Spencer, and Geert Wilders. There’s also a more extreme section taken from a BNP document “From Titans to Lemmings — The Suicide of the White Race.” It’s been said that Breivik steals heavily from Kaczynski, but the grand total from Kaczynski is only about three pages, admittedly including the latter’s major theme of left-wing “feelings of inferiority.”
One way in which Breivik fails is his attempt to place such great numbers of social groups into two simple divisions, good guys and bad guys. They just don’t fit together. He especially likes to lump Marxists and Muslims together. But at the same time he equates patriarchy with good guys, and matriarchy with bad guys. But Muslims are for him the prime example of patriarchal types, so he’s worked himself into a corner. At the same time, his dislike of the Frankfurt School (taken from Lind) requires him to ignore the fact that the school was Jewish, whereas Breivik is later trying to prove that the Jews are among the good guys.
Another problem, though, is not so much that the book is a plagiarism, but that it got too big for him to handle. Perhaps it was even bigger at one time. In any case, it looks as if he’d been collecting material from the Internet for years, as he says, and putting it all together, perhaps not realizing what a huge job he’d tackled when he began. The result is that the book really needed a good deal of editing, sorting and shuffling, removal of all the plagiarism, and so on. It also badly needs a table of contents, because at the moment it’s hard to find anything.
After his somewhat revised transcription of Lind, Breivic gets into the topic of “falsified history,” and the main themes begin, perhaps roughly summarized as follows:
- European history has largely been a 1400-year struggle against Islam. Significant events include the Muslim takeover of much of southern Europe in the early Middle Ages, the fall of the Eastern Roman Empire in 1453, the expansion of the Ottoman Empire, and the long turmoil in the Balkans.
- All these historical events can easily be overlooked because of the wording of the standard history books, which blur when they should clarify. Everywhere in the modern world we see that problem of “political correctness,” even in academic situations. In particular, every piece of paper that appears in public must emphasize “multiculturalism” at all costs.
- Yet various Muslim groups, especially the Muslim Brotherhood, have detailed working plans for integrating Muslims into positions of power everywhere in Europe. The non-Muslim world has no corresponding plans to put forward in opposition. People who have plans win; people who do not have plans lose.
- The fabric of Western society has been disintegrating for some time. The destruction of the Western family arose partly through misguided interpretations of Marxism. Because of these mistakes, men are weak and immature, marriage is becoming rare, and Westerners are not producing children. Socialism means the nanny state, with people living in perpetual imbecility and irresponsibility. Westerners hate their own culture and their own heritage, and they live with a sense of guilt, shame, and self-loathing.
- Yet none of above issues is ever discussed in the mainstream news-media, because these are controlled by a small group of people who are in favor of higher levels of immigration into Western countries. Increases in immigration mean increases in the number of people who will buy the products advertised in those news media.
- Islam affects Europe in various ways. Saudi Arabia pours money into the West for the purpose of “education,” i.e. propaganda. Many Western academic institutions receive grants from Saudi Arabia, or programs are set up with Saudi funding. At the same time, the numerous mosques in the West serve as training grounds for young Muslims who live in those countries.
- Another outside influence is drugs. Heroin from Afghanistan and Pakistan is sold to the West, but of course not to Muslims. The heroin serves two purposes: it provides more money for the propagation of Islam, and it undermines the Western economy and Western ways of life.
Beginning around page 280, and taking a good deal of material from Fjordman, Breivik blames many of Europe’s problems on the formation of the European Union:
- Large-scale immigration of Muslims into Europe needs to be examined in terms of the growth of the European Union. The EU is quite undemocratic: the EU government is not an elected one, its constitution is unreadable, and the people of Europe have little input to EU decisions. The EU is a dictatorship that crept over Europe by disguising itself as a series of councils, agreements, co-operative movements, and so on, never referring to itself as a political power that was destroying self-government and democracy.
- It was Charles de Gaulle who first opened the doors of Europe to massive Muslim immigration, although as a consequence France is now in turmoil. But pro-Islamic statements can be found throughout EU documentation, and the ultimate goal is to create a European-Arab state, in competition with the US.
- One task that the EU set for itself was to halt the depopulation of European countries. Depopulation is bad for business, so politicians expanded the immigration of Muslims, who would provide cheap labor, support “labor” political parties, and breed quickly in order to reverse the depopulation. At the same time, friendly ties to richer Muslim countries would provide energy security to Europe, which except for Norway is largely without its own fossil fuels.
Beginning about page 305, Breivik suggests that the best thing would be to let the Muslims keep pouring into Europe. A massive influx of Muslims would eventually destroy the EU, so at least the high rates of immigration would accomplish something useful. Since the Muslim population grows more quickly than that of the other inhabitants of each European country, the likelihood of a general collapse of the EU will increase noticeably with each passing year.
The last half of the book, after about page 660, consists largely of statistics on various European countries, particularly in terms of crimes committed by Muslims, amount of support for anti-immigration policies, and the nature of the right-wing leadership opposing the Muslims. Breivik feels that opposition to Islam will be most effective in Britain and France, whereas Germany is crippled by fears that it will be accused of reviving Nazism. Breivik explains that any group opposing Muslim immigration must pay serious attention to its own reputation and to the language it uses; no group will succeed if it comes across as no better than the the enemy.
A great number of pages are devoted to bomb-making and other para-military topics. There is also a long discussion of the formation of a group he refers to as the Knights Templar, but this discussion borders on childish fantasy. Another long section deals with further problems of family life in the West. Breivik’s own solutions for the decay of Western society are described in great detail, but the type of government he envisions seems rather dictatorial and anti-democratic. Breivik’s theories, it must be said, cover an enormous spectrum from the brilliant to the infantile.
About the author: Peter Goodchild is the author of ‘Survival Skills of the North American Indians’ (Chicago Review Press). Click here to mail him.
- Bias against Islam is deeply rooted in Western minds: Yusuf Fernandez (islamphobia.wordpress.com)